Thursday, February 05, 2009

Match Meat Crab Substitute a Hit with The Veggie Queen's Cooking Class

A while ago I got samples of "fake meat" from Match Meat in St. Louis. I was a bit freaked out when the UPS man dropped off a large box with a picture of a pig on it, reading BBQ. I wasn't sure what to think. I had completely forgotten that I was going to get Match "meat".

I had spoken to Allison Burgess, the owner and founder, of the Match(TM) about her vision and what Match (TM) was all about. She sees it as a way to get meat eaters to eat less meat, thereby saving animals' lives. And if my class is at all typical of most meat eaters, she's got a hit with her product, especially the "crab". All I did with it was form it into patties, sprinkled with a bit of Old Bay seasoning, and pan saute them in a bit of pure olive oil.

If I'd had more time I would have made more traditional "crab cakes" but I was in a hurry. When asked which of the foods the students in my class last night liked best, a significant number responded by saying, "The crab." I was quite surprised.
They had many foods to choose from: chicken Match meat saute, tempeh 3 ways, quinoa pilaf, millet with mushrooms, sauteed greens, chocolate mousse, Thai tapioca and brownie cookies, plus an impromptu dish of Mexican stir-in (another meat sub).

I hope that Allison is successful in her quest because it will help people with their health, and benefit the planet. If you live in the St. Louis area, you can purchase a variety of Match meat at retail and in a whole host of restaurants. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, eating this kind of "crab" won't make you crabby.



No comments: