Friday, April 28, 2006

A Nourishing Lunch

Today I made a very quick and easy lunch for myself to help cure the effects of my allergies which include feeling as if my brain has turned to cotton. To counteract that I included leeks, garlic, ginger, and greens in my standard pressure cooked braised tofu dish. What makes this dish standard is that it has tofu in it, otherwise all the other ingredients are flexible.

I put the pressure cooker over medium heat and added a teaspoon of canola, grapeseed or other neutral oil (or not if I am teaching McDougall) and added onion or leek, garlic, ginger, tofu and saute. Today I added diagonally cut carrots and sliced fresh shiitake mushroom caps to this, stirring for a bit. I added a tablespoon or so of tamari and a few tablespoons of water. I cooked this for another minute, then added 8 spears of asparagus that had been cut into 1/2 to 1-inch pieces. They lay on top of the mixture. I locked the lid in place and brought the cooker to high pressure. Once at high pressure, I turned down the heat and let it stay there for 2 minutes.

I quick-released the pressure and added 2 cups of chopped baby red Russian kale leaves and stirred them in until they were cooked. When I served it, I added a sprinkling of nori with cayenne (from Maine Coast Sea Vegatbles) and also gomasio (from Eden foods), a grind of flax seeds and some chopped cilantro. This could have been served over black, brown or red rice or quinoa, if I had any cooked. Or I could have put the mixture into a sprouted grain or whole wheat tortilla to make a wrap. Today I ate it as is.

It was tasty and while I don't feel all better, I do feel like I took good care of myself. I was nourished. I encourage you to do the same.

No comments: