Thursday, November 10, 2005

GE Free Lost but Not Forever

The voters in Sonoma County did not support a 10 year ban on GMOs but hopefully they are now more aware of the issues surrounding genetically engineered foods and crops. The defeat will turn into a victory once the people involved in GE Free Sonoma figure out which direction we need to take. But enough of that.

Last night I taught an appetizers class that was so much fun. There were 5 recipes and no agreement on which was the favorite among Stuffed Shiitake Mushrooms, Szechuan Eggplant Roll-ups, Rice Paper Wrapped Rolls with Spicy Citrus Dipping Sauce, Won Ton Ravioli and Dolmas. The best part for me was that I got to take home leftovers. What a delicious breakfast I had.

This past Tuesday I did a book signing and cooking demonstration at Santa Rosa Junior College bookstore. I got a very warm welcome and in exchange those attending got some good tastes of Lemon Scented Spinach Spread and Polenta Triangles with Roasted Red Pepper Relish, They are both quick and easy and from my cookbook The Veggie Queen: Vegetables Get the Royal Treatment.

I am already anxious to start work on my next book about spices but I still have to finish up a number of projects - a couple of which are waiting for me on my countertop and frig -- red, Anaheim and jalapeno peppers to roast and freeze and tomatoes to sauce and can or freeze. I hope that I can squeeze in the time to do this as I so enjoy it in the winter when I am inundated with brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower and their relatives), winter squash and potatoes. Nothing like the addition of some tomatoes and peppers to perk up a dish.

In fact, on the last rainy Sunday after a cooking demonstration I came home and made Spicy Winter Vegetable and Tomato Soup with marrow fat beans from Rancho Gordo (www.ranchogordo.com ) and some chipotle pepper from Tierra Vegetables (www.tierravegetables.com) who also grow marrow fat beans. It was so good that my husband asked me to make more. I hope that I can repeat it since I am not sure exactly what I did. But that's how some of my best recipes have taken shape. I make them a time or two and then get out my pen and measuring devices. It seems to work.

If you would like help me do recipe testing for my next book, please send me an email to jill@theveggiequeen.com. I will need help. Running off to cook my non-GMO produce and other foods.

No comments: