Sunday, September 25, 2005

The SF Vegetarian Festival and Potatoes

I've just returned from an entire long day at the San Francisco World Vegetarian Day celebration but on the San Francisco Vegetarian Society (www.sfvs.org). They are an incredibly organized and hard working group of volunteers. I can't thank them enough for letting me do a cooking demonstration. I had fun but had hoped that more people would be interested in my book The Veggie Queen: Vegetables Get the Royal Treatment. I think that for the holidays I may have a sale and offer a 3-fer but I've yet to decide on a price. So, if you are considering a great gift item, think of me, The Veggie Queen, and my book. I would highly recommend attending the festival next year as there are lots of free samples, great speakers and quite an array of food and other stuff to buy if you are so inclined.

Now, for the potatoes... I had been thinking that perhaps Oh! Tommy Boy's potatoes was going to be absent from the farmer's market this year since I had not yet seen them. But wrong. And on Saturday they showed up with about 8 varieties of their 30 kinds of potatoes. I am a real potato nut and now I have an assortment of colors, shapes and textures of potatoes to play with. It's really exciting for me. If you've not had fresh-dug potatoes, I urge you to try them. Please, whatever you do, stay away from those 10 pound bags in the supermarket as it could ruin your impression of what potato is supposed to be like.

Time to go make some pink and purple garlic mashed potatoes. And maybe I'll make an eggplant and potato curry with some Black Molly potatoes that are deep, dark purple. So many choices to contemplate. Can my food life get much better than this? We shall see.

1 comment:

Li Fang Wei said...

Hi!! you've got a great blog about Vegetarian Festival here !! I see that you like to speak about vegetarian Festival experience too. I love that. Check this other site out, vegetarian Festival, Thailand, it can be interesting.