Thursday, September 15, 2005

It's Not JUST Tofu

Do things sometimes happen to you that seem somewhat unexplainable? Well, it happens to me. Take this morning for instance when I looked at my bill for the Small Planet tofu (www.smallplanettofu.com) I had purcahsed the previous day and noticed that the price had gone up considerably. Now, this is not JUST tofu. This tofu, is in my opinion, the best regional tofu that you can buy. It is available in Northern California, the Northewest and just a bit beyond (so don't look for it in New York). I thought, I will still buy this tofu even if it is the most expensive on the market since I like tofu and eat it regularly. I deserve the best.

Then the phone rings and it's Tofu Phil calling from Small Planet. He tells me that he is starting an e-newsletter (which you can sign up for at his website listed above) and that the email that he had for me at least a couple of years ago doesn't work. He said that he didn't want to lose contact with me. Well, let's make this a two-way street since my son Shane (a vegetarian until he was 5 years old and a confirmed tofu eater) would not want to be without Small Planet Tofu. And neither would my husband Rick who has never been a vegerarian but has come to prefer my Baked Tofu (found in my book The Veggie Queen: Vegetables Get the Royal Treatment) to any meat in his burritos.

Anyway, back to Phil. We had a long discussion about tofu, specifically his tofu, because so many people think that all tofu is the same. It is not. Phil's tofu has a different texture and taste than most commercial tofu, and I am referring to the plain, not flavored or baked tofu. If you can find it, buy it and you will hopefully see that all tofu is not the same. If you don't live in a Small Planet region seek out the best locally produced tofu to see if it is significantly different or better than other tofu.

I do have mass produced tofu that I can fall back on here such as Wildwood and Soy Deli but the difference is immense. But enough tofu talk for now.

I am still impressed that Tofu Phil called me and hopes that we can work together to provide education about the importance of buying organic and delicious products.

BTW, my e-newsletter sign up is available too on my website at www.theveggiequeen.com. I hope to have you on board.

No comments: