Friday, July 18, 2008

The Veggie Queen Goes to Camp

You've heard that all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Well, the same thing goes for Jill.

So every year in July I take a week and go to family camp back in the woods in Mendocino at a magical place called Mendocino Woodlands. I stay in a rustic screened in cabin which I share with my husband and/or son, or some combination of the two of them. This year my 15-year old son Shane will go with me, while last year my husband Rick went.

The joy of going to camp is just being away with no strict schedule, other than meals which are optional. RIGHT! I do eat at every meal.

We (I am part of the kitchen staff and have been every year that I've gone to camp which is at least 8 now) make great food. In fact, the food at our camp is a big deal. We use fresh ingredients, all made with love and care. And here's the best part: we have vegan options at every meal. Now, how cool is that?

The bad part about the vegan options is that often we have meat-eaters who want in on the action because our food can be more appealing. Some campers become vegan for the week, and sign up as such so that they are assured the "good stuff".

So, I won't be blogging for at least a week while I trek through the woods, do some cooking and get rejuvenated. The timing is always perfect because it's less than a month before my junior college classes start. And my fellow campers are incredibly interesting people who love engaging in heady conversation, and sometimes just being and acting silly. It all works for me, especially nap time, whenever I want it -- well, not in the kitchen, of course.

I hope that you take the time to enjoy your week.

No comments: