Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Veggie Queen Comes Out of the Woods

Back to civilization today and the "real" world where I had to drive, shop and interact with people outside of camp. The good news is that there was a new farmer at the market in Sebastopol. The farm is called Three Ox Farm. Nice looking stuff. The woman of the couple, Bernadette, introduced herself and said that she met me years ago. That's easy to believe. The odd thing though was the prices that were listed ended in 99 cents which is what you generally see at the store, not at the farmer's market. Also, the price for kohlrabi was way too high. If I wasn't using it for show and tell later in the week, I wouldn't have bought it as $2 for a small one is beyond the acceptable price point for me.

They did have a specialty garlic called Music which once inspired a Greek moussaka take-off for me that I called Musica. I bought two heads and those were only $5 per pound, or something like that. I try not to pay too much attention to the prices and just buy what looks yummy but occasionally the price gets in the way.

I had a good time at camp, even though I worked in the kitchen 2 1/2 days out of 6. I still managed to get down time and do some crafts and reading. I planned to write more than I did, which was not much at all.

The best part of being away was the dark and quiet, and my little screened-in cabin by the creek. When I awoke during the night, I could hear the creek burbling and it was wonderful for lulling me back to sleep.

Now it will be back to work for me. I guess that I've already done that, shopping for classes this week. It's getting to be the time of year when everything exists locally -- eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, green beans, summer squash, tomatillos, snow peas and more. Gotta go cook now that I've made myself hungry.

You can find The Veggie Queen's cookbook The Veggie Queen: Vegetables Get the Royal Treatment on her website at http://www.theveggiequeen.com.

Sign up for Jill's newsletter there, too.

Registered Dietitian Jill Nussinow blogs about pressure cooking at http://pressurecooking.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com