Thursday, August 18, 2005

The Veggie Queen arrives Late

Even though I showed up at the Farmer's market at 11:30 a.m. and not my usual 9 a.m. there was produce to be had, and that's because it is a middle of the week market. The pace is slower. My finds for the day were orange Roma tomatoes, Romano beans, salad greens and wax beans. I also got some perfectly ripe fruit -- a Charentais melon (French cantaloupe), a Spanish sugar nut (Casaba type) and white nectarines.

I did not come home and feast but prepared food for a class to sample. Did you know that green, wax or purple beans are done perfectly when cooked in the pressure cooker for 30 seconds? Amazing.

I encourage you to attend your local farmer's market and see what's new. Every day is an adventure and a chance to learn something about the farmer, the produce or you. You just never know.

No comments: