Saturday, August 27, 2005

Santa Rosa Heirloom Tomato Tasting

I spent the morning demonstrating 3 different tomato salads at my "home" market in Santa Rosa. Radio station KSRO www.krso.com was there and I got my 5 minutes on air with Steve Garner of The Good Food Hour. He knows the right questions to ask and we talked about The Veggie Queen: Vegetables Get the Royal Treatment. He was amazed (as you might be) that Romano green beans only take 15 seconds in the pressure cooker to be perfectly cooked. They went into the Green Bean, Bulgur and Tomato Salad.

Salads like this one are incredibly versatile. If I had leftover cooked quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), barley or rice, I would have used that but in the interest of time, and the fact that bulgur only needs hot water to get "cooked" I used it successfully. Unfortunately each dish I made this morning had wheat in it. I got to see how many people are either avoiding wheat or carbs.I also demonstrated Italian Bread Salad (much easeir to pronounce than Panzanella) and Fattoush (Middle Eastern Bread Salad). These salads all let the color and flavor of the various tomatoes shine through. Fresh veggies at their best.

I got to see my own personal demonstration of "torching" goat cheese by Pascal of Pug's Leap Farm in Healdsburg, our latest and perhaps most authentic entry into the goat cheese market. My son Shane ate almost the entire cheese with the crackers that I brought from Dr. Kracker www.drkracker.com . These no-fat added, seedy spelt crackers are cruchy and tasty and go well with so many toppings -- and taste great solo.

The downfall of being featured at a market is that I don't get to shop, so I go home empty handed. Tomorrow I'll go to the market and shop. Maybe I'll even sell a book or two.

No comments: