Sunday, August 03, 2008

Cucumber Show and Tell

It's so much fun to do show and tell with adults. I just had the chance to do that with 7 kinds of cucumbers that I brought just for that purpose. Let's see if I can name them here:

  1. Armenian

  2. Striped Armenian or painted serpent

  3. Suyo long (Japanese)

  4. lemon

  5. New Zealand (whitish yellow)

  6. Pearl (white)

  7. pickling

I, of course, could have also included an English cuke and a regular supermarket type, or a Greek if I had been at the previous Saturday market to buy one. So I guess that I could have gone as high as 10 different cucumbers. And if I had my Amira growing this year, or the Indian type that I grew last year, it could have been even more. Amazing, I think.

After the cucumber show and tell, I got people to taste a delicious purple kohlrabi. One of the people told me that she'd seen the kohlrabi before but thought that it looked weird so didn't want to buy it. Now, she'd changed her mind.

I so enjoy having people try a new-to-them vegetable, turning them into converts. Those are wonderful a-ha moments. And I am sure to have many more in the future. I hope that you will, too.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I did not know that about cucumbers! That is interesting! 7 different types?!?

Anyhow...I found your link on Ryze...feel free to visit me at http://www.blissfule.com