Monday, September 18, 2006

My New Breakfast

Just over a month ago (August 8th, 2006) a very close friend passed away unexpectedly and suddenly a week after he turned 44 years old. It definitely sent my life into a tailspin -- a downward spiral that has taken time to climb out of. But during this time I started making myself a nourishing and nontraditional breakfast. (I'm glad to know that my subconscious mind can take over even during a period of grief.)

Those of you who know me know about my love affair with my pressure cooker, and with fresh, seasonal vegetables. So for my breakfast I have concocted a combination that produces a tasty and satisfying veggie breakfast bowl or wrap.

Here's what I do:

Heat the pressure cooker over medium heat. Add a bit of oil, or not, and put in diced onions, garlic, carrots, tofu, potatoes, a tablespoon of Bragg's liquid amino acids or somewhat less tamari and a few tablespoons of water. You can also add chopped red, yelllow or orange pepper and a bit of jalapeno or serrano chile.(And honestly any veggie that takes a few minutes to cook plus your favorite seasoning such as curry powder.) Lock on the lid, bring to high pressure and cook for 2 minutes. Quick release the pressure and add 1/2 cup chopped summer squash and/or green or wax beans, and 1 small chopped tomato (optional). Lock the lid on and pressure cook for 30 more seconds. Quick release the pressure and serve in a bowl over brown or brown and wild rice or for sheer decadence put into a whole wheat, multigrain (from La Tortilla Factory) or a sprouted grain tortilla. This will hold you for at least a few hours. You can add any seasonal veggies. I've done it with eggplant and also add chopped greens and herbs. I eat the leftovers the next day for lunch or dinner.

It's an easy and satisfying way to start the day. Now I just need a name for it. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Margaret Pearson Pinkham said...

How about "Good Grief!" An homage to your friend and state of mind....